All our garments are dyed naturally using the leaves of different plants. Chemical dye from clothing production is the largest contributor to water contamination in Indonesia, Bangladesh, and China. We decided to have our production in Indonesia to introduce and encourage sustainable and ethical practices into the Indonesian clothing industry.
The cacao tree used for natural dying - Bali, Indonesia
Some of the advantages to using leaves as a colouring agent are:
- Do not need to cut or kill the trees, harvesting multiple times
- Trees benefit from pruning reducing leaves during some periods of time
- Relatively easy to find, cultivate or can be in cooperation with farmers
- Does not compete with food needs
- Extracts are easy to make
- Leaf waste is easily composted and returned to the soil
- Raw material are a sustainable supply and can readily be replanted
Mango leaves being used to create the orange colour - Bali, Indonesia
A natural water filtration system is set up (using Hyacinth plants) to filter the dye waste and it is then used to water Indonesian plant life.
Hyacinth Plants used as natural filtration
Our main focus as a label is to be as sustainable as possible in every process from seed to store.