As we enter into Spring in Australia we have created a list of our top three natural alternatives to everyday products! Clearing out nasty chemicals that can be hidden in some of your go to bathroom essentials!
Picture via https://www.instagram.com/salt_store/
#1 Natural Deodorant
Deodorant is something most of us use everyday and it’s important we understand the impact it is having on our bodies.
The Nasties in Deodorant
- Aluminum, the sweat blocking ingredient found in most conventional antiperspirant deodorants, is a known neurotoxin and suspected contributor to Alzheimer's disease, chemical sensitivities, and breast cancer.
- Parabens also appear to be cause for concern. Scientists believe the parabens used in most deodorants and antiperspirants could be responsible for accelerating the growth of tumors in the breast. Parabens are also estrogenic. This can be detrimental to hormone balance, because your body absorbs the estrogen through your skin.
Studies have found that women are eight times more likely to develop breast cancer in the area of the breast closest to the armpit, than in any other part of the breast tissue.
Don’t just mask odour, prevent it!
Many natural deodorants, include baking soda, which prevents odor-causing bacteria from forming, rather than simply covering up the smell.
Balance your hormones.
Natural deodorants are paraben-free and therefore do not contain the estrogenic chemicals.
One last thing to consider when making the switch to a natural deodorant is that you will need to be patient and give your body a few months to adjust. You are likely to go through a detoxification period where your body may produce more sweat and odor.
This happens as your body works to rid itself of accumulated chemicals and toxins.
Our natural deodorant of choice goes to Australian owned company PURE DEO CO and their Lemon Myrtle scent!
Picture via https://www.puredeoco.com.au/
Pure Deo Co. uses natural bicarbonate soda to neutralise bacteria. This is carried by antimicrobial organic coconut oil and silky smooth organic shea butter which moisturises and supports a healthy environment for your armpits. Choose a scent that not only smells amazing but also provides targeted aromatherapy benefits for your wellbeing.
#2 Bamboo Toothbrush
Over 4.7 billion plastic toothbrushes that will never biodegrade are dumped in landfills and oceans every year worldwide.
Plastic never biodegrades because it is not part of nature’s food chain. To use and dispose of plastic toothbrushes is a habit that cannot sustainably continue. Plastic affects human health.. Harmful chemicals leached by plastics are present in the bloodstream and tissues of almost every human being, including newborns.
It is critical for our society to vote against plastic. Purchasing an alternative like Brush with Bamboo is a vote for non toxic sustainable materials. Every piece of plastic ever created is still in existence.
ENVIRONMENTAL TOOTHBRUSH, a Australian Company have created a sustainable solution, The Bamboo Toothbrush
Picture via http://environmentaltoothbrush.com.au/
The handle is made of MOSO bamboo, an environmentally sustainable timber. Bamboo is technically considered a member of the grass family. It is the fastest growing plant on earth, and incredibly abundant. Our bamboo is cultivated for between three to five years, and then harvested. It re-generates itself naturally, with minimal rain and without the need for harmful pesticides. In fact, by harvesting and using the bamboo, we help to control unwanted spread into agricultural and natural forest areas. Our bamboo is grown by many local farmers (NOT PLANTATION).
The bamboo is heat treated to carbonise the surface of the bamboo, giving it a quality finish and good service life. The carbonisation finishing process provides water resistance and prevents the growth of microbes (bacteria and moulds) during normal use.
The bristles are made from a BPA FREE polymer resistant to microbial growth during normal use, to ensure safety and durability. We have tried to find a biodegradable bristle but as of this time there is nothing available – apart from boars hair (don’t want to go there). No they are not Nylon 4 (as far as we know there are no bristles made from Nylon 4 on the market today).
We have tried to bring you a toothbrush that is better for the environment- over the years we have been misled by our manufactures about our bristles being made of Nylon 4. We still believe that our toothbrush is a better alternative to a full Plastic toothbrush.
Most dentists recommend a Soft toothbrush as do we – If by some chance you do not place a Bristle recommendation we will automatically send out Soft Bristle toothbrushes.
We recommend you rinse and dry your toothbrush after use to keep it clean.
#3 Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil is an absolute must have in your bathroom!
Picture via https://www.instagram.com/salt_store/
There are many different types of coconut oil but Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil is the best to use when digesting and using on your body.
Below is a list of some of the ways you can benefit from using coconut oil:
- Coconut Oil for Hair - Nourishes and protects, can be used as a leave in conditioner or as a conditioner while in the shower and also as a hair mask, Rub into scalp daily to stimulate hair growth
- Coconut Oil for Skin - Its natural antioxidant properties make it great for softening the skin and on skin irritations. When used consistently on skin it can help get rid of cellulite, helps resolve acne when used regularly, helps avoid stretch marks during pregnancy
- Homemade deodorant– its natural antibacterial properties make it helpful in fighting odor.
- Sunscreen - As a naturally low SPF sunscreen on its own when used topically and also helps speed healing of sunburn
- Massage Oil
- Lip Balm
- Natural personal lubricant that won’t disturb vaginal flora
- Natural shave cream and aftershave lotion
- Rub on cuticles to help nails grow
- To help avoid chlorine exposure when swimming
- Oil pulling to remove toxins and bacteria in the mouth to maintain high oral health
- Reduces the itch of mosquito bites
Learn more ways here on Wellness Mama - 101 Ways to Use Coconut Oil to be precise!
Follow us at www.instagram.com/hara_thelabel
At HARA we are not only passionate about natural and organic clothing but also natural and organic living in general. Feeding our bodies natural foods and using natural skin products plays its part on our health and the health of our environment.